Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New summer project
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:04 pm 

bighead wrote:
l3ooty6rabber wrote:
bighead wrote:
You have 4 wires coming out of the original Engine with a Points magneto. This may explain the damage but not sure.

You got a great deal on the new Engine. The clutch is worth that easy and then some.

Both your clutches you have on the Engine are not OEM Odyssey. I think the clutch on the new Engine is the comet duster but not sure. You are going to have to match the belt to the drivin clutch if not already done by last owner. Being it had the non original clutch and a ex racer your rear clutch may already be spaced out for the larger belt.

How wide was the belt that came with the Ody?

The CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) magneto does not have the slotted holes so you can get to and adjust the points

The belt is over an inch close to inch and a half. Haven't measured it. Just eye balling it.

I edited the above post. I was wrong about the magnetos.

Lay the belt into the driven clutch and take a pic. I would like to see how it sits in the pully.

Is this your clutch 94c Comet Duster

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-FL250-ODY ... 0d&vxp=mtr" .".." ."..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Odyssey-F ... bf&vxp=mtr" ."..

that looks like the clutch minus the sticker

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:07 pm 

This is the pic I am after. How far above the pully does the belt ride? It looks close and you should be okay. If this was a stock driven clutch that belt would not even be close to fit.

I think you are okay. But here is a vid on how I made mine wider for the larger sled belt. I think this has already been done. But take some pic or tell me how far out of the pullt the belt ride.

Again from the looks of it and the parts that were on your car. I think this has been done already or one of the other mods to make them wider.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6iiN3sL8xA" .".." ."..

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:08 pm 

bighead wrote:
Oh yah. You have a CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) coil and CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) box with harness. With any luck it should be a quick drop in and go. Your new Engine is also 4 wire CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition). You have no electric start parts on the engines. At one time perhaps a Goki starter was on it.

If we can ID that clutch on the original Engine I may be interested if you ever sale it. My quess it is a 30mm tapered sled clutch of some sort. Or even a fl350 clutch. Not an 350 guy so hard to say.

just uploaded a pick of the first motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) and clutch. says salsbury made in the good USA

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:16 pm 

l3ooty6rabber wrote:
bighead wrote:
Oh yah. You have a CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) coil and CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) box with harness. With any luck it should be a quick drop in and go. Your new Engine is also 4 wire CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition). You have no electric start parts on the engines. At one time perhaps a Goki starter was on it.

If we can ID that clutch on the original Engine I may be interested if you ever sale it. My quess it is a 30mm tapered sled clutch of some sort. Or even a fl350 clutch. Not an 350 guy so hard to say.

just uploaded a pick of the first motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) ((starter motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) or a fan motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? ))?)) and clutch. says salsbury made in the good USA

Yah not sure what that clutch is from. But if it fits a fl250 it's got me thinking.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:17 pm 

bighead wrote:
This is the pic I am after. How far above the pully does the belt ride? It looks close and you should be okay. If this was a stock driven clutch that belt would not even be close to fit.

I think you are okay. But here is a vid on how I made mine wider for the larger sled belt. I think this has already been done. But take some pic or tell me how far out of the pullt the belt ride.

Again from the looks of it and the parts that were on your car. I think this has been done already or one of the other mods to make them wider.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6iiN3sL8xA" .".." .".." ."..

on the new motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) the belt sits on it with play about 1/16, on the first motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) it sits inside the clutch good, on the rear it sits like the ribbed part of the belt sits inside and the flat part of the belt rides on the edge.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:23 pm 

l3ooty6rabber wrote:
bighead wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6iiN3sL8xA" .".." .".." .".." .".." .".." .".." .".." ."..

on the new motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) ((starter motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) or a fan motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? ))?)) the belt sits on it with play about 1/16, on the first motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) ((starter motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) or a fan motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? ))?)) it sits inside the clutch good, on the rear it sits like the ribbed part of the belt sits inside and the flat part of the belt rides on the edge.

Perfect you good to go then. Bolt that sucker in and hook up the wires clean the carb and fuel lines and ride it. The belt may just work fine as far as fit. Keep your fingers crossed.

Does the carb manifold on your new Engine fit the carb you have? Or is it modified to fit an larger carb?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:39 pm 

bighead wrote:
l3ooty6rabber wrote:
bighead wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6iiN3sL8xA" .".." .".." .".." .".." .".." .".." .".." .".." ."..

on the new motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) ((starter motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) or a fan motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? ))?)) ((starter motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) ((starter motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) or a fan motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? ))?)) or a fan motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) ((starter motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) or a fan motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? ))?))?)) the belt sits on it with play about 1/16, on the first motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) ((starter motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) or a fan motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? ))?)) ((starter motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) ((starter motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) or a fan motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? ))?)) or a fan motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) ((starter motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) or a fan motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? ))?))?)) it sits inside the clutch good, on the rear it sits like the ribbed part of the belt sits inside and the flat part of the belt rides on the edge.

Perfect you good to go then. Bolt that sucker in and hook up the wires clean the carb and fuel lines and ride it. The belt may just work fine as far as fit. Keep your fingers crossed.

Does the carb manifold on your new Engine fit the carb you have? Or is it modified to fit an larger carb?

Carb looks like it fits only on the new motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )). I'm gonna take it all apart and redo the whole thing. My rear tires are flat so I ordered some 4 bolt hubs for a 400ex to bolt up my spare set from my quad. The cart also came with new tip hole shots. Figured for the price of the tires I got the chassis free. I have a new set of hole shots for my quad and they are $100 a tire. I got a deal on my set $330 new already mounted on a set of wheels.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:41 pm 

How can I put a suspension on the rear? Would anything work?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:43 pm 

l3ooty6rabber wrote:
bighead wrote:
l3ooty6rabber wrote:
bighead wrote:
You have 4 wires coming out of the original Engine with a Points magneto. This may explain the damage but not sure.

You got a great deal on the new Engine. The clutch is worth that easy and then some.

Both your clutches you have on the Engine are not OEM Odyssey. I think the clutch on the new Engine is the comet duster but not sure. You are going to have to match the belt to the drivin clutch if not already done by last owner. Being it had the non original clutch and a ex racer your rear clutch may already be spaced out for the larger belt.

The CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) magneto does not have the slotted holes so you can get to and adjust the points

The belt is over an inch close to inch and a half. Haven't measured it. Just eye balling it.

Lay the belt into the driven clutch and take a pic. I would like to see how it sits in the pully.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-FL250-ODY ... 0d&vxp=mtr" .".." .".." .".." ."..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Odyssey-F ... bf&vxp=mtr" .".." .".." ."..

Wow I didn't know it was worth that much and I'm sure the seller didn't either. He had it for $250, gave him $70 and walked away happy.
He also has a gsxr 600 for $700 complete with everything as he was planning on putting it into a buggy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:11 am 

l3ooty6rabber wrote:
l3ooty6rabber wrote:
bighead wrote:
l3ooty6rabber wrote:
bighead wrote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-FL250-ODY ... 0d&vxp=mtr" .".." .".." .".." .".." .".." ."..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Odyssey-F ... bf&vxp=mtr" .".." .".." .".." .".." ."..

Wow I didn't know it was worth that much and I'm sure the seller didn't either. He had it for $250, gave him $70 and walked away happy.
He also has a gsxr 600 for $700 complete with everything as he was planning on putting it into a buggy.

Yah it's a nice clutch. It really wakes the FL250's up. What kind of pipe came with your car?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:33 am 

bighead wrote:
l3ooty6rabber wrote:
l3ooty6rabber wrote:
bighead wrote:
l3ooty6rabber wrote:
bighead wrote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-FL250-ODY ... 0d&vxp=mtr" .".." .".." .".." .".." .".." .".." ."..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Odyssey-F ... bf&vxp=mtr" .".." .".." .".." .".." .".." ."..

Yah it's a nice clutch. It really wakes the FL250's up. What kind of pipe came with your car?

Don't know the kid painted it black and the muffler is hose clamped with only an answer sticker on it. I need to get a hold of a good welder. I can't really work on it cause I am moving this month. I have a lot going on. 5 kids, ones about to graduate this year, 2 in diapers, 1 with autism, and 1 doesn't shut up and talks all day long, full time job as an engineer for 2 buildings, and college 3 times a week at night for computer networking. I have no spare time and schedule every bit of time I do have.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:15 pm 

Is there any suspension that I can put on the rear on this buggy?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:45 pm 

l3ooty6rabber wrote:

Not without lots of mods. It has been done many times and there are hundreds of ways to do it. Just do some google and you will find lots of info.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:58 pm 

I'm on my phone so I can't see too well, but how much life is left on the driven clutch buttons?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:16 am 

bighead wrote:
l3ooty6rabber wrote:

Not without lots of mods. It has been done many times and there are hundreds of ways to do it. Just do some google and you will find lots of info.
thanks. I was hoping it was easy as drilling some hole and gathering parts and some welding.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:25 am 

Tpreed wrote:
I'm on my phone so I can't see too well, but how much life is left on the driven clutch buttons?

? This is my first fl 250 and I know nothing about them. But I have a thing for motors and modding. Anything and everything I own has to be modded to be different from factory. I just like to be different with taste. I've been building Honda automobiles for sometime now and know a lot about them. I got my first dirt toy new years 2012; my Suzuki ltz 400. Just picked this up a few days ago. Starting a new hobby since I live in the desert.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:42 am 

I circled the part you need to check out. These slippers/buttons keep the two cams from touching as the clutch goes through its opening and closing motion. Here is a link to the part and how they look new. http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-FL250-ODY ... 500wt_1054" .".." ."..

From the picture you posted it appears they are definitely worn beyond spec. Be careful replacing them as they may break off in the hole.

Attachments:
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg [ 41.06 KiB | Viewed 793 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:44 am 

Tpreed wrote:
I circled the part you need to check out. These slippers/buttons keep the two cams from touching as the clutch goes through its opening and closing motion. Here is a link to the part and how they look new. http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-FL250-ODY ... 500wt_1054" .".." .".." ."..

From the picture you posted it appears they are definitely worn beyond spec. Be careful replacing them as they may break off in the hole.

What should it look like?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:46 am 

l3ooty6rabber wrote:
Tpreed wrote:
I circled the part you need to check out. These slippers/buttons keep the two cams from touching as the clutch goes through its opening and closing motion. Here is a link to the part and how they look new. http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-FL250-ODY ... 500wt_1054" .".." .".." .".." ."..

They look like they have a rubber piece in between them. Just that everything is black it's hard to tell.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:56 am 

l3ooty6rabber wrote:
l3ooty6rabber wrote:
Tpreed wrote:
I circled the part you need to check out. These slippers/buttons keep the two cams from touching as the clutch goes through its opening and closing motion. Here is a link to the part and how they look new. http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-FL250-ODY ... 500wt_1054" .".." .".." .".." .".." ."..

They look like they have a rubber piece in between them. Just that everything is black it's hard to tell.

Can you take a closer picture? try putting your camera in macro mode(macro setting is represented by a flower icon).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:20 pm 

Tpreed wrote:
l3ooty6rabber wrote:
l3ooty6rabber wrote:
Tpreed wrote:
I circled the part you need to check out. These slippers/buttons keep the two cams from touching as the clutch goes through its opening and closing motion. Here is a link to the part and how they look new. http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-FL250-ODY ... 500wt_1054" .".." .".." .".." .".." .".." ."..

Can you take a closer picture? try putting your camera in macro mode(macro setting is represented by a flower icon).

I must have missed the link. Yes they are in there. About 1/4" eyeballing

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:13 am 

Got my 4 lug hubs for the rear installed. I used the 400EX rear hubs and mounted my spare set from my quad.Image

Profile E-mail