After getting home from the East Coast Jamboree and unloading the motor home I decided to take a quick look at the basket case, I started by draining the transmission since the previous owner said the transmission was making a whining noise, I could not detect any noises when I put it into gear and pushed it around, the oil looked normal and was not too dirty so I changed it. I am at a loss here so I figure the best way to find out if it is any good is to install the motor and take it for a ride. The Engine First thing I needed to do was pressure test the motor and see if it would hold air. After blocking off the exhaust, intake and spark plug hole I added some air trying to build up to #10 it would hold air for about 15 seconds then back to #0 after spraying the motor with soap it was easy to spot the leak, right where the intake manifold meets the reed cage it leaked big time. I took the manifold off to see the problem (bolts were tight) and noticed that the reeds have been replaced with what looks like to be Boysen reeds and they were not seating. I took the reeds off cleaned them up and flipped them over, I will order new ones and flipping them over will do until the new ones get here. I installed a gasket between the manifold and reed cage then tried the pressure test again, this time the motor held #11 for 10 minutes after 30 minutes it dropped to #8. The crank shaft seal showed a little leakage so a new seal will be ordered with the reeds. Wile I had the reeds out I looked the piston over, it looked real good and had only what I would call normal wear and no major scratches. Looking at the exhaust side of things there was plenty of carbon on the exhaust manifold and the exhaust had been leaking making a real nice mess of things. Most people would probably worry but to me its a good sign that the motor was running rich and had plenty of oil. There were no major scratches or wear on the piston. I installed the motor and was able to take a compression test just using the pull starter it was #145 So far I am real happy with what I have seen with the motor after I find out if the transmission has any major problems I will tear down the top end and inspect the internals. Other things I got accomplished on day 1 Cleaned the carburettor, air box, air filter, clamps and the boot that goes between the carb and air box.
Day 2 After work I decided to work on the Pilot some more so I tighten up the motor mounts, Installed the carb, radiator, air box, air filter , flushed and installed the gas tank, changed the counter balance case oil (it was nice and clean) installed the calliper, disk for the rear brake. I took the battery off my Pilot added gas and the motor started right up. I took it for about a 15 minute ride everything sounded and ran good, the front brakes will lock up on grass with a real hard pull of the lever (bald tires make that easy) but still feel like they need bleed and adjusted, the rear brakes felt good. man a stock Pilot is sure slow compared to a modified one it wouldn't even spin the tires on grass. I still have a ton of stuff to check and repair some items include Remove the lower links on the rear suspension and straighten them out. Remove and inspect the rear brakes, bleed the whole system. Remove both axles from the transmission and grease the splines. Straighten out the top roll cage ( think if I put it in the press I can get it back straight again) Remove, inspect the upper A-arms Rear, clean and grease the bearings. Clean, inspect and grease the rear axle bearings. On the front end, clean and inspect the front brakes, wheel bearings, A-arm bushings, tie rod ends steering stem bushings, bleed the brakes and adjust.